Friday, June 05, 2009

Salmon Croquettes (Just like my mom used to make!)

I used to love when my mother would make these! When I got my first apartment in college, one of my first tasks was to make my own salmon croquettes like my mothers, but in my own kitchen :) At the time, I actually thought that making croquettes was the 'only way' to eat salmon [from a can]. Oh what a nieve little cookie I was! Later on, as I got older, of course I tasted a grilled and blackened salmon fillet and that opened my eyes to a whole world of 'salmon' possiblities! Mr. Sherry Berry's mom used to make them for him as well, so we share a common childhood favorite. For those of you who have recipes that call for 'canned salmon' please share them in the comments section!

Ingredients:

1 15oz can of salmon- (Make sure you remove all bones and skin, or use two small cans of boneless, skinless salmon)
*drain canned salmon, but leave about a tablespoon of juice*

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 onion
1 green bellpepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp of breadcrumbs
1/2 cup of crushed crackers
3 tbsp. olive oil

(you may add chopped celery and/or scallions if you'd like in lieu of vegetables above)

Directions:

1. Add olive oil to pan, set to medium heat.





















2. Add salmon, eggs, breadcrumbs and crushed crackers to bowl. I had club crackers on hand this time, but I usually prefer to use saltines.












































3. Chop onion and bellpepper and add to mixture.

(I cheated and used my food processor... didn't feel like cutting up onions today.)























OH! ....and look what I found inside my bellpepper--- a baby bellpepper!!
That's never happened to me....ever.









































4. Add salt and pepper and mix well. I've found that a fork works best.























5. Using tablespoon portions, form mixture into several balls. You should be able to make 8-10.

























6. Place them in heated pan with the olive oil. Pan fry until golden brown on each side, while flattening into a patty.
(approx. 3 minutes per side.)
























7. Enjoy! Great with brown rice and veggies (i.e., steamed cabbage, grilled asparagus, sauteed spinach, or green beans.)









No comments: