I know. I know. It's not good for you, but it's good to you :) Comfort food. Cheesy goodness. I made this recipe last year over the Holidays and it was a big hit, so I made it again (by request) this year. It's been a while since I've updated the food blog. Okay, it's been a year. Give me a break, I'm a mom now lol. Here ya' go:
Mommy's Mac n' Cheese
- 2 cups dry, whole grain elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons evaporated fat free milk (I use Carnation brand)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 1/4 cups of boiling hot water
- 3/4 cup of shredded Colby Jack or Cheddar Jack cheese
- 3 cups shredded (about 12 oz.) American cheese (not the processed junk. You can find the real stuff at the Deli at your grocery store)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain off water in a colander and set aside.
2. Heat oven to 350ºF.
3. In a large bowl, mix evaporated milk, flour, and melted butter.
4. Gradually add 1/3 of the boiling water, beating constantly with a wisk.
5. Add 1/2 of the American cheese and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
6. Stir in half of the macaroni.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 until all the macaroni, American cheese and boiling water is mixed well and creamy.
8. Add salt.
9. Transfer to lightly greased 2-qt baking dish.
10. Cover with foil.
11. Bake for 25 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and remove foil.
13. Evenly sprinkle Colby Jack or Cheddar Jack cheese over the top.
- 14. Place pan back in oven and bake for another two or three minutes until cheese melts.15. Turn on oven broiler on high. Watch closely until top of cheese turns a crisp golden brown.16. Remove from oven and let sit for ten minutes. Serves 8-10. or one todddler for three days lol.