Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mama O's Warm Lemon Butter Pound Cake

My grandmother used to make the best pound cake every Sunday. She would send half of it home with me (despite my mother's dismay) lovingly wrapped in lots of foil paper. I miss my grandmother, and I miss her pound cake, among other things she would prepare in her kitchen just for me ;) This recipe is dedicated to my "Mama Ophelia", whom I'm sure has attributed to the 20+ pounds I've gained over the years. Disclaimer: I suggest that you bake this right before you have house guests over; Otherwize, it's likely that you'll eat the entire cake on your own...


Ingredients:


2 sticks of butter (room temperature)
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, whip butter while gradually adding sugar.

Mix until fluffy.



















Add eggs one at a time to butter/sugar mixure.

In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients.

Gradually add dry ingredients and milk (about a 1/2 cup at a time of dry ingredients and 1/4 cup of milk alternating until all ingredients are mixed together) to butter/sugar mixture.

Add vanilla and lemon extracts.

Grease with butter and flour a 10" bundt pan (or tube pan if you prefer).

Bake one to one and a half hours or until toothpick or knife tests clean.



















Let cool for ten minutes and remove from pan. Dust with powdered sugar (optional).

Serve warm :) Enjoy!

4 comments:

kristacular said...

oh yum!!!! Think I can make this into cupcakes? I think so! I find it easier to eat my few and send the other's off so I don't end up with them all that way :)

Sherry said...

I don't see why not! That's actually a great idea for portion control...lol. Thanks for stopping by and commenting :)

Bria @ West of Persia said...

Classic, simple, yet heavenly pound cake. Yummmm! Yeah, unless we give bunches of it away, it is indeed "pound cake" in more ways than one. Thanks for sharing this, Diva!

Anonymous said...

Wow..thanks so much for the recipe, I've tried it and loved it!! I added a warm lemon butter glaze on top of it and it came out perfect.